Gingivitis, or inflammation of the gums, is a disease in the mouth that results from layers of bacterial build-up on the teeth. That can be because of a variety of factors but diet is usually the main culprit. Gingivitis treatment is imperative as the disease can develop into a secondary condition known as periodontics, which can cause a person’s teeth to fall out.
Effective treatment for Gingivitis requires professional care followed by stepped up oral hygiene at home. Symptoms can include your gums turning red or purple or start to experience, soft gum tissue, receding gums, pain or tenderness in gums, bleeding gums, bad breath or swollen gums.
If you are experiencingÂ any of the above indicators, contact your Gentle Dental office immediately as they will perform the following:
- An initial evaluation and thorough dental cleaning to remove all traces of plaque and tartar
- Instruction on effective daily home brushing and flossing techniques
- Regular follow-up professional checkups and cleaning
- Fixing dental restorations that hinder adequate hygiene, if necessary
Then it is your responsibly to perform the following:
- Brushing at least twice a day. An electric toothbrush may help you brush more effectively.
- Flossing at least daily.
- Using an antiseptic mouth rinse, if recommended by your dentist.
Fortunately if an early diagnosis is made, gingivitis can be treated. If not, it can lead to a slew of bigger problems. To learn more and to make an appointment, contact Gentle Dental at 1-888-513-7436.